Myrtleford officer charged with assault during unlawful raid

A MYRTLEFORD police officer has been charged with punching a woman in the face, breaking her nose, during an unlawful raid 20 years ago.

Leading Senior Constable Dave Jenkin is facing charges of intentionally causing serious injury, recklessly causing serious injury, intentionally causing injury and recklessly causing injury.

He has been on leave for several months.

Corinna Horvath, then 21, spent five days in hospital after eight officers kicked in the door of her Hastings home in March 1996.

INJURED: Corinna Horvath in hospital

INJURED: Corinna Horvath in hospital

Leading Senior Constable Jenkin, who has worked in the North East since at least 2006, is accused of assaulting Ms Horvath by punching her while she was on the floor of the house.

The then-Chief Commissioner Ken Lay apologised to Ms Horvath on behalf of all police members in 2014 after the UN Human Rights Committee recommended Victoria Police re-open the investigation into the officers.

CHARGED: Leading Senior Constable Dave Jenkin

CHARGED: Leading Senior Constable Dave Jenkin

Chief Commissioner Lay paid her compensation.

A previous court case noted then-Constable Jenkin and Constable Stephen Davison had issued Ms Horvath an unroadworthy certificate for her Torana on March 8, 1996.

INJURED: Corinna Horvath

INJURED: Corinna Horvath

They arrived at her home the following night after claiming to have seen her driving the vehicle.

A scuffle broke out and the two police members were injured.

Constable Jenkin said he had a sore shin and back and Constable Davison said he had been kicked.

Eight police officers in five cars arrived near the house, and it was noted the two police were visibly shaken by the incident.

Following an exchange with the occupants, Constable Jenkin kicked open the door which hit a man in the head.

He entered and allegedly struck him on the right side of the head and hit him with a baton across his lower back.

He then went into the lounge room and found Horvath before allegedly pulling her to the floor and punching her in the face, breaking her nose.

It’s alleged she was rendered “senseless” and had no recollection of the incident.

Court documents note Constable Jenkin and another officer rolled her over and handcuffed her, dragging her out to a van.

She took months to recover from her injuries. 

A Victoria Police spokeswoman said the force was aware of the charges.

He will face court in Melbourne on December 19.