A 15-year-old boy has been charged with recklessly causing serious injury following a dramatic schoolyard fight at Wodonga Senior Secondary College on Tuesday.
A teenager had been airlifted to the Royal Melbourne Hospital after the incident about 11am.
Detective Senior Constable Ray Causer said he was still under treatment in Melbourne on Wednesday afternoon.
“It’s pretty bad, that’s why they flew him down,” he said.
It’s believed the victim had been trying to break up an altercation between two other students before he was set upon.
Education Department spokesman Alex Munro said the school was treating the incident seriously and would take the appropriate action.
Its principal Vern Hilditch would not comment directly on the fight but said an event like this was uncommon.
“It’s most unfortunate and very regrettable,” he said.
The charged teenager will appear before a Victorian Children’s Court in late March.