Man charged following violent tomahawk attack

UPDATE: On Monday afternoon, the 21 year old Wodonga man was released from Albury Base Hospital into Police custody. He was charged with two offences of Malicious Wounding and bail was refused by Police. The man will appear at Albury Local Court on June 20.

EARLIER: A Defence Force worker has been stabbed in a confrontation at his home.

Paramedics were called to a house in Cassinia Court, Thurgoona, about 1.35pm on Saturday.

Two men – one armed with a tomahawk, the other armed with a knife – stabbed each other.

Police said a 21-year-old Wodonga man attended the brick property before the stabbing and is now under police guard in hospital.

It was unclear what caused the incident or if the men knew each other, but it is understood the 20-year-old man who lives at the home works for the army.

Police and ambulance attended the home after the stabbings and police removed evidence from the scene. Both men were transported to Albury Hospital with lacerations and stab wounds. A NSW Ambulance spokesman said one man had lacerations to his face, forehead, knee and hand, and the other had multiple stab wounds on his scalp, arm, wrist and hand.

 A crime scene was established at the Thurgoona address and a number of physical and forensic exhibits have been obtained. 

Neighbours said the area was generally quiet, with one man noting it was the first time he had seen a police car in the street.

Detective Inspector Winston Woodward said police were still trying to work out why the incident had occurred.

“One man is currently being treated up at the hospital, and is assisting us with our enquiries” he said.

“At this stage, detectives are investigating the matter and it is unknown if they were known to each other.” 

Detective Inspector Woodward said there had been the potential for serious injuries. 

“A tomahawk and a knife are two weapons which have the capability of causing serious injuries,” he said. 

“Deep lacerations and cuts were caused to both parties.” 

The Thurgoona man was released following treatment. The Wodonga man underwent surgery for his injuries on Sunday and remains under police guard.  Albury detectives are investigating.