UPDATE: Woman found uninjured after leaving scene of serious Hume Highway crash


The driver of a car which rolled off the Hume Highway and hit multiple trees was found on the side of the highway about three hours later. 

The 47-year-old Wodonga woman was located on the roadside, near Lavington, about 5pm on Monday and was taken to hospital. 

Acting Sergeant Nick Fahy said amazingly, she was not hurt. 

“Considering the damage to the motor vehicle, police are amazed that the driver did not sustain any injuries,” he said. 

“We would certainly urge that drivers drive to the conditions and be vigilant in their driving. 

“Further investigations are taking place into the circumstances of the collision and why the driver left the scene.”

The Mazda station wagon was badly damaged in the crash, which occurred near the Thurgoona Road exit about 1.45pm. 

The vehicle landed on its side but the driver was nowhere to be found, and there were initial concerns she may have been ejected or pinned under the car. 

Acting Sergeant Fahy said an extensive search of the area failed to find the woman. 

“It was established that the female driver had left the scene,” he said. 

“Extensive patrols were made of the surrounding area but the driver could not be located.” 

It was unclear who found her. 

She was taken to hospital for observations and has not been charged. 

Albury and Border Rescue Squad captain Paul Marshall said she was “very, very lucky”. 

Picture: Albury Border Rescue Squad

Picture: Albury Border Rescue Squad

EARLIER: Border emergency services were left perplexed when they arrived at the scene of a single-car crash, to find no driver in sight. 

Albury and Border Rescue Squad captain Paul Marshall said a car rolled several times about 2pm, but despite a search by emergency service the driver could not be located. 

“It had rolled a few times, landing about 300 or 400 metres off the freeway,” he said

“Ourselves and the fire brigade searched the immediate area, we were concerned they were around or pinned under the car. 

“Thankfully they weren’t. 

“It’s a testament to modern car safety that someone could come out of that crash and walk away before emergency services got there.

“Whoever it is was very, very lucky.”

Mr Marshall said the cause of the single-car crash was not known. 

He reminded residents to slow to 40 kilometres an hour when they see emergency services.