THE Murray Bushrangers will ask for more than one match to be played in Albury-Wodonga next season following the success of Sunday’s clash at Albury Sportsground.
About 250 people turned out for the TAC Cup showdown against Calder Cannons with talent manager Mick Wilson delighted with the response.
“We would love to play more games up there,” Wilson said.
“We will put in a request for more because Sunday was sensational.
“The fixture is governed by the AFL though and controlled by the clubs and their recruiters so we can only make recommendations.
“They try and play as many triple-headers and double-headers in Melbourne as they can to allow recruiting staff to see as much footy as possible.”
The Bushrangers have played four matches at Wangaratta’s Norm Minns Oval, two at Shepparton’s Deakin Reserve and one at the sportsground this season.
Norm Minns Oval’s case is helped by the AFL previously assisting with its ground development.
The Bushrangers, who had five Albury players in their side in Sunday’s 19-point loss to Calder, last played at the sportsground in 2016.
“The venue and the facilities which were presented, outside an AFL facility, were second to none,” he said.
“Calder play at RAMS Arena and they all commented on how amazing the ground is.”
The lowlight of the day was a knee injury to co-captain Kyle Clarke.
The talented Shepparton United youngster will have scans on Wednesday but officials fear he has ruptured his ACL.
Meanwhile, Albury’s Jacob Koschitzke, Yarrawonga’s Ely Smith, Mooroopna’s Laitham Vandermeer and Shepparton United’s Zane Barzen have been invited to the National AFL Draft Combine in October.
Another handful of players are set to take part in state draft combines with names to be released soon.