XAVIER High School’s decision to press ahead with its excursion to Melbourne has been endorsed by Victoria’s Police Commissioner.
Last week’s terror attack in the city prompted one Victorian school to cancel a school camp in the city, but Albury's Xavier High had no such worries with a year 10 group making its way to the Victorian capital on Monday.
Healesville Primary School informed parents it was cancelling their school camp in Melbourne on Friday night, drawing a mixed reaction.
Some praised the school for the decision, while several others labelled it as being ‘over the top'. When contacted by The Border Mail on Monday morning, Xavier High School said that it did not want to comment.
Victorian Police Commissioner Graham Aston said he had been surprised by Healesville Primary School's decision and supported decisions from schools like Xavier High School to proceed with their trips as planned.
"The fact is we've been telling people to continue on with their lives, that's what the terrorists want in those situations, is to be able to cause that fear and reaction along those lines and for people to change the way they are going about their lives," he said
“That's exactly what we want to avoid.
“There is no threat we are currently working on in relation to Friday night's events.”
Healesville Primary said in a Facebook post on Friday night that it had cancelled the trip on advice from the Department of Education.
However, the department clarified yesterday morning that it had issued no such advice.
"The department has not advised schools to cancel excursions into the city as a result of Friday’s Bourke Street incident," a spokeswoman said.
"The department supports principals to make decisions about school operations."
Comments on Healesville Primary's Facebook announcement varied.
“I can understand people's concern but cancelling camp is a bit over the top,” one comment read.
“I don’t think it’s over the top at all. Making a tough decision like this shows the safety of our children and staff is number one priority,” another said.
“I wouldn’t be comfortable knowing my young, innocent child is away for a week in the same place the terrible incident occurred.”
Tributes for popular cafe owner Sisto Malaspina, who was killed in the attack, continued on Monday.
- Receive our daily newsletter straight to your inbox each morning from The Border Mail. Sign up here