Welcome to the 2018 Wodonga Gold Cup. There are many businesses today planning to put the “Gone to lunch” notice on the door at 12 noon. That’s code for heading out to Wodonga racecourse …
Our reporters and photographers are at the track today and will bring you all the action from Wodonga Racecourse. Follow our live blog all day here:
Wodonga Gold Cup has grown 240% since the cup started
Wodonga Turf Club general manager Tom O’Connor said the event’s long-term plan had always been to draw in residents from major cities and growth was doing wonders for the economy.
“With the public holiday it’s about getting people to Wodonga on the Thursday, them having a good day on race day on Friday and then staying in the region through Saturday and Sunday.
“It used to be on a Sunday and trackside we’d get about 1500, we’ve been able to steadily grow that to more than 8000 since 2013.”
This week leading up to the Wodonga Gold Cup:
- Economic boom as Wodonga Gold Cup 2018 attracts tourists
- FLASHBACK: Wodonga Cup through the years
- Leading form analyst says Gold Fields is the one to beat in the Wodonga Cup
- Wangaratta trainer says galloper has recovered from horror fall, leading into Wodonga Cup
- A Wodonga crowd favourite looks to win the hometown Cup