One of five people charged over an alleged major drug supply network on the Border has been freed on bail.
But one of the conditions of Alfred Maxwell Clark’s release is that he is banned from coming within 100 kilometres of Albury.
The only exceptions were for future court appearances or for when he needs to see a lawyer.
A large group of family and supporters in Albury Local Court on Tuesday broke into smiles when Clark’s bail application was granted.
Clark, along with his co-accused, has been in custody since his arrest on August 1 after a police strike force seized drugs including ice and cocaine with a value of at least $300,000.
The three men and two women – the others arrested were Mahmoud El-Zayat, El-Zayat’s partner, Claudette Tannous, Kylie Maree Pearce and Thomas Alfred Purtell – face 140 charges between them.
Director of Public Prosecutions representative Andrew Hanshaw told magistrate Imad Karim-Abdul on Tuesday that he had been given a copy of the proposed bail conditions.
Mr Hanshaw said that based on that information, the DPP would not oppose bail.
The four others charged following the raids had their matters mentioned on Tuesday.
But none of them appeared, nor did they make bail applications.
Conditions of Clark’s bail included living at Broadford, north of Melbourne, observing an 8pm to 8am curfew and being allowed to leave the address outside those hours only in the company of his wife.
“That means you’re under house arrest,” Mr Karim-Abdul told Clark, who appeared via a video link to Junee jail.
Clark must report to police at Barooga every Saturday, had to agree to forfeit $1000 if he breached bail and must not go within 50 kilometres of an international point of departure.
Also, his wife agreed to forfeit $5000 if Clark breached bail.
She signed this surety about 12.30pm and then family traveled to Junee to collect him.
Matters against all five were adjourned to March 5.
- Receive our daily newsletter straight to your inbox each morning from The Border Mail. Sign up here