LOCATIONS for funding in the fourth round of the mobile phone blackspot program could be announced in the lead-up to the federal election due in May.
The Indi electorate was one of the big winners in the program's early rounds with 30 funded in round one and another eight in round two at an overall cost of $32 million including a federal government investment of $8 million.
It missed out in round three with federal communications minister Mitch Fifield confirming on Thursday on a visit to Bright the fourth round recipients would be announced "soon".
"The number of mobile base stations in Indi is really a function of the need," he said.
"It's a unique topography which provides challenges for mobile phone networks.
"The government called for the community to nominate mobile phone blackspots.
"We worked together with the telcos to see if those sites were possible.
"It's a function of a well designed program."
Indi MP Cathy McGowan said: "I welcome Senator Fifield to Indi. It’s great to see attention being paid to the needs of Indi residents.
"I am hoping to see more phone towers announced for Indi."
Ms McGowan is hosting a community celebration of the mobile phone tower at Edi Upper on Tuesday from 4.30pm at the Edi Upper hall.
The Edi Upper tower was funded in round one.
Senator Fifield said 33 of the 38 towers funded in Indi had already been constructed.