While indulging over Easter may result in you needing to loosen off the belt, unfortunately for our pets the same foods can result in life threatening toxicities.
Chocolate is a well known toxin in dogs, causing a range of clinical signs including vomiting, lethargy, diarrhoea, tremors, seizures and death.
Theobromine and caffeine are both found in chocolate and are responsible for the toxic signs seen.
Theobromine is found in milk and dark chocolate, while caffeine is found in all forms of chocolate, hence even white chocolate can be harmful to your pet.
It's not only the season for chocolate, but also for hot cross buns and although for us they are delicious, for your pets they can be lethal, causing non-dose-dependent kidney failure.
It is the sultanas in those hot cross buns that do the damage.
Just because your dog has had a grape or sultana before and been fine, unfortunately this does not mean it will be that lucky the next time.
So for your pets' safety, keep the hot cross buns for yourself.
If your pet has found your stash of Easter eggs, or grabbed a chocolate or a hot cross bun off the bench, see a vet straight away.
They will check your pet and likely make them vomit.
Depending on the amount they ate and any signs they show they may also need to go onto fluid therapy and blood tests may need to be done.
However, so your pet doesn't have to miss out on all the Easter fun, you can source pet-safe treats from your local supermarkets, vets and pet food stores.
If you have any concerns on what is safe to feed your pet, contact your local veterinarian for more information.