Federation Council engineering director Steve Carmichael revealed the details at Tuesday's council meeting, after speaking to Roads and Maritime Services regional manager Lindsay Tanner.
Mr Carmichael said the project had been behind six others, but now was third behind new bridges for Swan Hill and Tooleybuc.
"The other thing he (Mr Tanner) was very adamant about was that whatever option we decide to do for the new crossing, the old bridge will be demolished," he said.
"He asked we put that in when we go out for our expression of interest for our preferred route, that we let people know whether it's green or grey (route) there will be no old bridge."
Mr Carmichael said Mr Tanner indicted the weir bridge would most likely close at the middle of next year.
"That has implications for THALES ... my understanding is munitions are not allowed to cross the main bridge and have to cross on the weird bridge, so if that closes there will gave to be an arrangement made," he said.
Councillor Bronwyn Thomas welcomed the news that the bridge was a higher priority but said the community needed more information about why the old bridge would be demolished.
"We've all had representation from people who would like to see the old bridge retained," she said.
"We really need to get some solid information about where that decision was made; was it a Victorian or NSW decision, and if it was a decision made in parliament, could we get a copy of the Hansard to distribute?
"Because there will be questions asked."
The decision to destroy the original bridge was a NSW parliamentary decision, Mr Carmichael said.
Cr Fred Longmire said it was always known the old bridge would be destroyed, but said it was time to have more of a spotlight put on the saga.
"We've got a federal election coming up; is there any chance we can lobby the member for Farrer (Susan Ley)?" he said.
"I think it's worthy we make a request to the sitting member, or any other candidate, to see what their position is."