A Rutherglen winery is standing by its decision not to accept any private buses on the busiest weekend of the year after it left them with "significantly less" people through the doors.
Campbell's Wines was one of three wineries which made the decision to cut out private bus groups from their wineries during the Rutherglen Winery Walkabout weekend.
Event manager Ellen Sherwood said they want "quality not quantity".
"Numbers are obviously down on previous years and the vibe is a bit down," she said.
"The Winemakers of Rutherglen have supported our decision and we did have a strong crowd about 10am on Sunday but it has dropped off from there.
"We did expect the lower numbers, with buses bringing around 50 people each and multiple buses normally coming through our winery, it is a noticeable difference.
"But we feel good about our decision and the safety of customers and staff.
"We haven't had to call security once every one has been very well behaved which is great."
At Campbell's on Sunday afternoon there was about 200 people.
IN OTHER NEWS:
This was a strong contrast to the 5000 people who were packed in to Bullers Wine on the same day.
More than 300 were in the long line for the toilet and more than 30 tour buses were parked in the car park.
At 3.30pm security at the entrance weren't letting any more festival goers in.
Ms Sherwood said they are using this year as a "learning curve" and the decision was about "safety".
"We will now go and work out how to better the numbers," she said.
"People can come and actually enjoy the wine tastings and still be safe and enjoy themselves.
"We will build it up from here and find a happy medium where we can get more people in that will spend money and enjoy themselves like a wine festival should be."
The annual politician grape stomp took over the centre of Rutherglen at 2pm on Sunday with Indigo Shire Council mayor Bernard Gaffney's wife Karen taking top honours.
Northern Victoria MP Jaclyn Symes and independent MP Helen Haines, who is yet to be formally named as Member for Indi, came in second and third respectively.
Cr Gaffney said his wife had been "training for three weeks" for the big event.
"It is just great to be here where 20,000 people spend $5 million - this is the biggest event in north east Victoria and everyone does such a fantastic job," he said.
The town market saw thousands of people walk down the main street where they had a record number of 392 stall holders.
Receive our daily newsletter straight to your inbox each morning from The Border Mail. Sign up here