Being told he was already off the road until 2024 didn't impress Liam Ashley Cotter.
The 33-year-old Thurgoona man, with his young family in tow, fronted Albury Local Court clearly aggrieved he had been charged again.
This time it was a single count of drive while disqualified.
But the allegation was made more serious by it being a second offence.
Cotter, who represented himself in court, was unhappy about the charge and did not believe it should have ever been laid against him.
IN OTHER NEWS:
And he was further aggrieved when magistrate Imad Abdul-Karim told him his offence was driving when he was already disqualified until December 13, 2024.
Cotter said it wasn't so and constantly talked over the top of Mr Abdul-Karim, who patiently explained the particular circumstances of the man's case.
But in the middle of his submission to the court, Cotter changed his mind and reluctantly accepted his fate.
"I will deal with it today, your honour. Guilty."
Cotter said he had been suffering with mental health issues and was a disability pensioner, though he told Mr Abdul-Karim he had turned his life around.
He was married and, he emphasised, had gone straight after "12 years in jail".
Cotter said the only reason he was driving on the day he was pulled over by police - in Kaitlers Road, Lavington, on May 22, about 11.30am - was because he had no other way of getting to work.
Mr Abdul-Karim placed Cotter on a 12-month community corrections order and disqualified him from driving for six months, though that term will be concurrent with his existing ban.
He told Cotter not to simply resume driving when his disqualifications were over.
"You have to speak to the RMS (Roads and Maritime Services) first."
Receive our daily newsletter straight to your inbox each morning from The Border Mail. Sign up here