The Albury Banner reported on March 28, 1919 that "a meeting was held a few days since for the purpose of forming a St Patrick's Football Club."
Elected were patrons Father Slattery and Tom Ryan, president Father O'Dea and a committee of 18.
The new club became a part of the recently formed Albury Border Association, along with teams from North Albury and South Albury (to be divided by Dean Street) and Wodonga. St Patrick's, led by Bill McInerney, won the inaugural Cannon Cup, defeating South Albury 5.13 (43) to 3.11 (29).
In 1920, the competition was joined by Diggers and Mitta Dam, with St Patrick's again taking the honours in the grand final against Diggers, winning by 11 points.
The Ovens & Murray League had been in recess during World War I but reformed in 1921, with St Patrick's joining Rutherglen, Springhurst Wahgunyah, Corowa and Lake Rovers.
IN OTHER NEWS:
St Patrick's defeated Corowa in the grand final, 7.19 (61) to 2.3 (15), starting a dominant reign in the competition. In the following six years, St Patrick's were O&M premiers five times, defeating Wangaratta in 1922, 1923, 1924 and 1926 and Albury in 1927.
After Albury defeated St Patrick's for the 1928 premiership, O&M administrators decided it was time to change the league structure. Of issue was the uneven nature of the competition with Albury, St Patrick's and Wangaratta dominant over some struggling clubs.
Another problem was sectarian divides between St Patrick's and Albury. Cleaver Bunton, champion Albury player and later mayor, wrote in his autobiography "there was keen rivalry between the players of both clubs, but it was civil war between so called supporters ... citizens being verbally and physically assaulted."
Bunton went on to say that a solution to the bigotry had to be found. It was agreed both Albury Football Club and St Patrick's Football Club should disband.
Two new clubs were formed, West Albury and East Albury with Olive Street "the line of demarcation."
The next year, West Albury were premiers, defeating East Albury 17.16 (118) to 15.14 (104).
In 1935, St Patrick's was reformed to compete in the Albury & District Association. However, the Albury Banner reported that at the club's annual meeting in April 1937, "it was unanimously decided to disband the club." In 1945, St Patrick's joined the Albury & Border Junior Football League.
On Saturday, July 6, St Patrick's Junior Football Club is holding a centenary reunion of past players and supporters at the Commercial Club. For details, visit the club's Facebook page or phone 0412 656 164.
Receive our daily newsletter straight to your inbox each morning from The Border Mail. Sign up here