Two young men who allegedly took turns raping a 17-year-old girl behind a shed at a birthday party in Kergunyah have started to face trial for a second time.
Mitchell Bowran and Charlie Star, both now 22, have pleaded not guilty to five counts and three counts of rape respectively.
They were at an 18th birthday party in Kergunyah on September 2, 2017, where they allegedly sexually penetrated the girl and forced her to perform oral sex on them.
Prosecutor Peter Triandos told the jury at Melbourne County Court on Wednesday that the victim had been happy to kiss Bowran at the party, but when the two men allegedly pulled down her underwear and unhooked her bra, she told them "I don't want to do this anymore".
He said she screamed in pain at first.
"(The victim) just lay there waiting for it to stop ... (she) tried to scream, but it was muffled because she was having trouble breathing," he said.
MORE NEWS FROM COURT:
Bowran's barrister Hayden Rattray said the case was about young people, alcohol, bad choices, consent, reputations and regrets.
He said the two men had a different version of what they said was a consensual sexual encounter, denying anal penetration was involved.
"Essentially it is a word-on-word case," Mr Rattray said, asking the jury to question the evidence.
"If the sex was consensual, would the complainant be embarrassed ... Is it possible she lied?" he said.
Star's barrister Charles Morgan told the jury there were parts of the evidence that would cause doubt.
"It's not a morality tale. The question is, is the sexual penetration from my client - if it did occur - illegal sex?" he said.
This is the second attempt at a rape trial in this case - the first trial was heard in Wodonga starting at the end of February, but the jury was discharged without making a verdict.
Jury members in the retrial in Melbourne, made up of six men and six women, will this week be played recordings of the evidence given by witnesses when they first took the stand in Wodonga.
Judge Meryl Sexton said this was to avoid making them give the same evidence a second time.
A video-recorded interview between police and the victim was played in court on Wednesday, but the court was closed to the public.
Family of Bowran and Star travelled to Melbourne to sit in the court in support of the two young men.
The trial continues.
Receive our daily newsletter straight to your inbox each morning from The Border Mail. Sign up here