COMEDIAN Joel Creasey's Bendigo performance has been cancelled, with organisers citing safety concerns.
Creasey - of Australia's Got Talent and I'm a Celebrity ..Get me out of here - was scheduled to perform as part of Golden Vine Comedy on November 14.
"Unfortunately, Joel has received threats if the show goes ahead and his management has prevented him from doing the show because of safety concerns," organisers today posted on the event's Facebook page.
They cited homophobia as a contributing factor.
Tickets for the show are being refunded.
"We're really sorry about this, for everyone's sake," organisers wrote.
Creasey faced verbal abuse and threats of violence from a pack of young men after addressing an anti-discrimination forum in Colac in 2011.
He later returned to the town for his documentary Gaycrashers, to find out what life was really like for LGBTI people growing up in regional Australia.
Watch the documentary here:
In the 2017 marriage equality postal survey, 68.7 per cent of Bendigo voters said yes, while 31.3 per cent said no.
"I think it's a loss for Bendigo," LOUD chair Suellen Pepperell said
"People would have loved to have gone to see him."
Creasey sold out shows in Ballarat earlier this year.
Reflecting on the popularity of the Tram Queens at Bendigo's first White Night, the LOUD chair said she was surprised by the reaction to one man's comedy show.
She was concerned those responsible for Creasey's safety concerns would consider the show's cancellation a victory.
"I think it's really sad the vocal few would have such an appalling impact," Ms Pepperell said.
Harry McAnulty said Bendigo had come so far in the last few years.
"It's really sad a [LGBTI] community member doesn't feel safe to come to the Bendigo region," he said.
He said the Bendigo community needed to have a conversation about how it combated such attitudes.
"These views are really a minority in the Bendigo region," Mr McAnulty said.
"We know we have a diverse, multicultural community that is accepting."