Three laneways provide access to dozens of central Albury businesses. AMP and Volt Lanes are well known, less so Selle Lane, but each has a history.
This block was one of 36 added in 1848 as Albury expanded. It, like most of the others, was 10 acres divided into 20 half-acre allotments. In 1849, the National School was allocated 1.5 acres on Dean-Kiewa Street (Mates corner). The school and master's house were built and opened in 1850.
In 1852, the two storey Rose Hotel was built on 1.5 acres in Kiewa Street (now the Target car park). Access to their stabling was provided by a lane (now Volt Lane). Several acres of vines, gardens and orchard (now the tax office) also appeared.
In 1859, permission was granted to sub-divide the school yard. On September 10, 1859, lot A, corner of Dean and Kiewa, went to TH Mate for £790. Lot B adjoining lot A, east to a new "right of way" 19ft 9in wide (now AMP Lane), went to Lewis Jones for £310. Lots C, D and E, along Kiewa Street, were not sold until September 16, 1861, allowing time for the school to relocate to Olive Street in 1862.
FA Selle (1830-90) traded in Kiewa Street from 1869, soon becoming a respected merchant, coach builder and undertaker. He married Marthalena Brumm in 1870. In the 1870s he expanded, moving to Dean Street.
He built the George Hotel and an Emporium on today's City Walk site. He built two double-storey terrace houses, Vaucluse and Pembroke on Olive along with a showroom and workshops.
He acquired and utilised much of the vineyard and orchard known as the Rose Estate. The lane now bearing his name went from Smollett to Dean Street, making it a tunnel when he built a showroom over it in 1877. He built the Carriageway in 1889.
Accompanied by his eldest daughter, Selle died on-board a ship during a voyage back to Germany. He was buried at Port Said on May 21, 1890.
In September 1881, AMP relocated from Townsend Street, acquiring Downie Bros premises on the corner Dean and Right of Way for £3000.
On December 19, 1885, fire destroyed both their building and the Albury Banner next door. Rebuilt, the AMP re-opened in 1888 (pictured), but was demolished in 1940 and replaced by its current offices.
The lane, even if colloquially, has been AMP Lane since 1888 and made official on May 21, 2013.
Since 1915, the term Volt Lane has been used when a site for a sub-station and depot for the 1916 electricity scheme was chosen.