The Country Women's Association is unlikely to be able to continue its drought funding program beyond Christmas, despite this week taking pleas personally to the federal drought minister.
After meeting with David Littleproud, the CWA still has no clear explanation of why the government knocked back an application for more help and no suggestion that there will be more funding in the future.
At a national level, the CWA has distributed about $30 million in drought assistance, $5 million of which came from the federal government.
In NSW, Ms Leys said, about $14.5 million had been allocated. The association has been giving out cash grants of up to $3000, which can be used to pay household expenses.
Danica Leys, the chief executive officer of the CWA in NSW, said senior members of the organisation had met with Mr Littleproud on Thursday, days after they learned their bid to secure more help had been rejected.
"We were happy to have that meeting. We have been requesting it for some time," Ms Leys said.
She said the minister had listened the CWA's concerns, but "we're still a bit unclear on why our request was denied".
"The money is needed now more than ever, really," Ms Leys said.
"The funds are getting very low and the demand is still very high and we can't keep relying on public donations from corporates or private individuals - those types of people who have really underpinned our work so far.
"It is difficult for us to keep relying on the generosity of ordinary people. It is really time for the government to step up and fill some of those gaps.
"We will keep advocating for more funding to come - not just our way, but to where it's needed."
IN OTHER NEWS:
Ms Leys said the minister did recognise the work of the CWA in "getting that money where it's needed", and that the organisation would continue to lobby the government for more drought assistance.
"We do still have some private donations coming in, which is amazing and will allow us to keep doing some work, although at this stage it is difficult to see how we will be able to continue past Christmas," she said.
"We may be able to go into January, but it's very hand to mouth at the moment with our funding."
National CWA president Tanya Cameron has told the media that the organisation had been ablew to provide assistance to people who were otherwise unable to get help.
"We've been helping people in drought-affected communities with schools fees, grocery and petrol bills, doctors' fees and phone bills," national president Ms Cameron said.
"The CWA has been providing assistance for people living in this drought for the past 18 months, and it would be a shame if we can't continue that.
In a statement, Mr Littleproud said the drought funding program was now being run by the Salvation Army and St Vincent de Paul.
"There is now over $60m that's been provided to charities to give this money to those who need it. It's important people understand it's still available," he said.
"The charities not only have this proven track record of delivery, they also have an established regional footprint, trained personnel and appropriate governance to ensure against fraud.
"They are professional organisations that are quick, efficient and highly accountable. This is important because there was evidence in the previous round of people trying to game the system."
"Both charities are already getting this money to where it's most needed."
"This will take pressure off farming families and make sure they have food on the table."