A day after thousands rallied outside Parliament house to demand changes to the controversial Murray Darling Basin Plan, the NSW government has threatened to walk away from the plan unless changes are made.
More than 3000 people gathered in the nation's capital on Monday to shine a light on the plight of irrigators and rural communities affected by the basin plan and state water allocations.
Delegates from the Convoy to Canberra met with the National Farmers Federation president John Maher, Water Minister David Littleproud and Environment Minister Sussan Ley.
Speak Up 4 Water campaigner Shelley Scoullar said the convoy had succeeded.
She said Mr Littleproud had agreed to ask the Ministerial Council, a body made up of water ministers from each state, to give interim basin inspector-general Mike Keelty the power to investigate the impact of the basin plan, state allocation policies and how the two interact.
"It's a great step in the right direction, because we haven't had anything in the past that's looked at the basin plan and how it's impacted other water sharing," she said.
"I really hope it highlights the inadequacies within the basin plan and how the basin plan is exacerbating drought scenarios and I also hope it uncovers any flawed assumptions within the basin plan and any negligence in its implementation."
IN OTHER NEWS:
A spokesman for Ms Ley said she met with organisers and was able to arrange an hour-long meeting with Mr Littleproud for them.
Mrs Scoullar said the NFF had recognised there had been some breakdowns in policy creation, but they would now all be working together to fix the plan.
She said the convoy had also shown everyday Australians the dire reality facing those in Southern Basin communities and garnered public support for the cause.
A spokesman for Mr Littleproud confirmed the Minister will speak to the Ministerial Council on December 17 about allowing Mr Keelty to specifically investigate the impact of the changing distribution of inflows to the Southern Basin on State shares under the Murray Darling Basin Agreement.
"The Minister will seek additional resources from the PM to support the IIG investigation should that be required," he said.
"The Minister will write to the NSW Minister regarding concerns raised about the lack of consultation around [water resource plans]."
On Tuesday, NSW deputy premier and Regional Minister John Barilaro said the state has no more water to give and will walk away from the basin deal unless changes were implemented.
"It is clear our communities in regional NSW have had enough, and today we stand with them," he said.
"NSW is being crippled by the worst drought on record and our future is at risk. The plan should be flexible, adaptive and needs to produce good environmental outcomes."
Mrs Scoullar said if the Ministerial Council did not agree to grant Mr Keelty power to investigate the plan, she'd support NSW's decision to walk away.
"A line had been drawn in the sand," she said.
"We simply can no longer stand by the Murray Darling Basin Plan in its current form."