Elderly nursing home residents evacuated from the bushfire and smoke ravage Alpine areas will return home to Bright, Myrtleford and Mount Beauty this week.
CFA deputy incident controller Mark Owens told community meetings on Monday that the advice and watch and act warnings would be removed completely wherever possible so the region could try to return to normal and starting bringing tourists back.
Alpine Health board chair Chris Walker said this would also end a tough couple of weeks for the region's hospitals and nursing homes.
Vulnerable elderly residents were first evacuated to Myrtleford then Murray Valley Private Hospital in Wodonga as the bushfires became a serious threat.
"Given what we've heard today we hope to get those residents back as soon as we can," Ms Walker said.
"It's very hard in the staff from Mount Beauty and very hard on the staff from Bright who have had to go to Benalla.
"It's been a tough couple of weeks for Alpine Health, but hopefully we'll get back to normal soon."
IN OTHER NEWS:
Alpine Council chief executive Charlie Bird told the community meetings that Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews had written to the federal government asking for the municipality be added to the list where an emergency had been declared.
This would allow businesses to apply for funding to help with what the council estimated was a $90 million loss in tourism revenue during January because of the bushfires.
"I'm hopeful we'll have a response to that before the end of the week," Mr Bird said.
"Tourism is a major contributor to our economy and it's been decimated."
Mr Owens said there had been some apathy to the emergency warnings because they had been in place for so long, so if they were reinstated in the next couple of weeks, he asked that the danger be taken seriously.
"There's a lot of work to do ... This is a marathon, not a sprint," he said.
Firefighters had been focusing their efforts to contain the fire near Carboor, Mount Buffalo National Park and spikes in the Buckland Valley.
Better conditions this week means they will be back burning over the next few days to strengthen the control lines, which also means the North East has again been blanketed in smoke.
"I'd like to think we're going to be in a really good position over the net seven to 10 days, keeping the fire exactly where it is. That gives us some reassurance that the risk is starting to drop for the community," Mr Owens said.
"My main job over the past three or four days is to actually open up Alpine Shire and the valleys again.
"We've had a red hot go of that over the past couple of days, where we've now even opened the road back up to Dinner Plain."