A 2018 report warning of "the real possibility" of a deadly derailment on the North East line will be shared with transport ministers and the Prime Minister following the XPT tragedy.
The briefing paper was cited on Friday by Wodonga MP Bill Tilley in the wake of the derailment near Wallan on Thursday night that killed a train driver and pilot.
Written in February 2018 by those with rail industry experience, the paper slams the work of the Australian Rail Track Corporation to fix the North East line.
It stated there was "disquiet" particularly about the line south of Seymour given its high number of train movements and there was "the real possibility of a major derailment with the potential for grave consequences".
An upset Mr Tilley said he intended to send the paper to Prime Minister Scott Morrison, the federal, Victorian and NSW transport ministers and his Albury counterpart Justin Clancy.
"They can dissect it and they can try and dismiss this document, but one thing I am is an investigator and I know that every avenue and inquiry they suggest in this document needs to be pursued," the former policeman said.
"People need to be held to account."
The Rail, Tram and Bus Union said the track where the crash happened was awaiting maintenance and V/Line train drivers refused to travel it over the last week.
This morning I joined Deputy PM @M_McCormackMP & Victorian Minister for Public Transport Melissa Horne at the site of last night’s devastating XPT derailment in Wallan, Vic. Our hearts go to the loved ones of those lost and our broader rail family who are all hurting today. pic.twitter.com/9X4OsUrwOY— Paul Toole MP (@PaulTooleMP) February 21, 2020
ATSB chief commissioner Greg Hood said a range of factors, including speed and the quality of the track, would be addressed by investigators.
Asked if the Barnawartha incident would form part of the probe, Mr Hood said "if it's at all relevant it will be looked at in the context of this investigation".
Mr Tilley believed the Barnawartha derailment should be part of the Wallan examination.
He referred to North East line briefing paper in parliament last September during debate over a bill that allowed the ATSB to undertake rail investigations in Victoria.
Mr Tilley said the report had been compiled by "Victorian railway people who have a significant wealth of knowledge and experience in track work, which is important and which flows on to safety".
He told The Border Mail it was time for the woes of the North East line to be taken seriously, saying it was "a load of crap" for Infrastructure Australia to not rate a track upgrade as high priority.
"Enough is a bloody enough," Mr Tilley said.
"We've got infrastructure that now has most recently killed two people, no longer is it a joke, no longer is it to be dismissed.
"This is the time now to get in and fix the bloody thing."
A site office was this week established at Wangaratta employing 50 people.
Up to 200 are expected to be employed by contractor John Holland who will target the Seymour to Wodonga section of track in the initial phase of the project due to be completed next year.
In the report cited by Mr Tilley, the ARTC was criticised for work previously undertaken on the track which resulted in mud holes forming.