The recovery of a train that derailed in regional Victoria, killing its driver and pilot, is almost complete.
The Australian Rail Track Corporation, the federal agency in control of the section of track at Wallan where the crash happened, said the removal will be completed on Tuesday.
"The recovery and safe removal of the final train carriages and locomotives from the Wallan derailment incident site is expected to be completed today," ARTC said in a statement.
Transport for NSW contractors put the lead locomotive on a specialised flatbed truck about 1pm Tuesday, while two carriages were lifted on to trucks on Monday night.
The trucks will leave for Sydney on Wednesday and return later in the week to load the two remaining carriages from the site.
ARTC contractors have already begun repairing the tracks ahead of signalling works starting.
"The site is being carefully controlled to ensure the safety of all those who are now involved in the site recovery and repair," ARTC said.
"We acknowledge that the community is seeking to understand what caused the incident and we will continue to provide full support to the ongoing investigation which will look at all potential factors."
The XPT train from Sydney to Melbourne derailed at Wallan on Thursday night, killing experienced driver John Kennedy and his pilot, a 49-year-old man from Castlemaine in Victoria.
It was revealed on Monday that Mr Kennedy raised concerns with a friend about train faults on previous journeys along the same route.
"My last six Melbourne return trains have been very late or cancelled mainly due to train fault issues," an email sent to Australian National University professor Clive Williams on February 3 read.
"Three of the six runs I was down to one engine, on another trip I had no 'speedo' and the only trip without a train fault was disrupted by the big derailment last week."
It is believed the derailment mentioned in Mr Kennedy's email relates to a freight train that left the tracks on January 29 at Barnawartha, about 200km north of Wallan.
The passing of Mr Kennedy has overwhelmed his family with a sense of loss.
His passion for trains since joining the railway at the age of 14 is said to have shown through his work ethic, passion and dedication.
Train pilot Sam Meintanis was the second victim killed in the derailment.
The 49-year-old man was described by his family as "a beautiful soul who loved and lived to the full."
He was the rock of our family, always ready to support and advise with compassion, stability and a positive outlook," a statement from his relatives read.
"Everyone who knew Sam loved and admired him and saw him as a strong and trusted leader. He was our spartan king."
Investigators from the Australian Transport Safety Bureau were on the scene from Friday morning and will release a preliminary report after 30 days, ahead of a final report in 18 months.
Australian Associated Press