LEADING jockey Nick Souquet has made the tough decision to split-up his family so he can keep riding during the coronavirus outbreak.
The Wodonga based hoop has temporarily left his family home and relocated to his mother's house in Corowa.
Both NSW and Victorian racing authorities banned interstate industry participants on Tuesday from attending racetracks.
Mr Souquet who predominantly rides in NSW decided to temporarily relocate to Corowa so he could remain riding in NSW.
"To be honest I don't know how long I'll be able to do it for," Mr Souquet said.
"My wife, Laura, works in aged care, the kids are home from school and mum is a bit elderly.
"So it's a bit of a juggling act but I'm going to do it for the time being anyhow.
"I've got the two youngest Ivy, 3, and Eila, 8, while Laura has got Zach, 12."
Racing came to a screeching halt on Wednesday because of a coronavirus scare.
It became apparent leading Melbourne jockey Mark Zahra had been on the same commercial flight on March 12 as someone who has since tested positive for coronavirus.
Racing officials were waiting the results of Zahra's test on Thursday.
If, as expected, the test comes back negative racing is set to resume as early as Friday.
The heavyweight hoop has five rides at the Sapphire Coast today and one at Wagga on Monday at this stage.
MORE CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE:
Mr Souquet said it was a strange feeling to be living back home at Corowa.
"I left home when I was 14 and this is the first time I have been back to live there since," he said.
"Mum is 70 now and it's good of her to let the kids and I stay.
"Even though I live in Victoria I get a stack more rides in NSW so that's what led to my decision."
Mr Souquet said it was a credit to racing officials who had gone to unprecedented measures to keep the racing industry going.
"It's obviously a big industry and they have done a fantastic job," he said.
"I guess it's inevitable racing will be shut down at some stage but at least in the meantime participants can still earn an income."