ALBURY seems set to have just one airline servicing one route as the clampdown on travel due to COVID-19 strangles the aviation industry.
Virgin Australia has already halted its Albury-Sydney flights until June 14.
That leaves Qantas as the likely last airline standing serving Albury and it will cut its weekly flights to Sydney in half from Sunday.
Rex is the only airline to fly from Albury to Melbourne and competes with Qantas and Virgin on the Sydney route.
IN OTHER NEWS:
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission this week granted Rex interim authorisation to co-operate with Qantas and Virgin on the Sydney-Albury run.
But Rex indicated it would only talk to Qantas if there were a meaningful support packages forthcoming from all three tiers of government.
In a media release on Thursday, Rex stated it had "not received any concrete proposals from the various levels of governments and will be making an announcement tomorrow (Friday) with regards to the shutting down of its network".
But a Rex spokeswoman replied to The Border Mail on Friday that there was now no timeframe for that announcement.
Albury mayor Kevin Mack, speaking earlier in the week, said any assistance provided by the council would have to be fair to all airlines, not just Rex.
"We will be doing what we can in a broader context for all airlines," Cr Mack said.
"We just can't discount one and not the other."
Cr Mack said council help would probably centre on landing fees, with security screening "a federal government requirement that may need support from the federal government because it is quite expensive".
In a letter, Rex manager Warrick Lodge called on the council to provide a 70 per cent reduction in the head tax, which covers arrivals and departures, from April 1 to December 31.