The High Court is to rule on the latest stage of Johnny Depp's libel claim against The Sun newspaper over allegations he had been violent to former wife Amber Heard.
The Pirates Of The Caribbean star is suing the tabloid's publisher, News Group Newspapers (NGN), and its executive editor Dan Wootton, over an April 2018 article which had referred to the 56-year-old as a "wife-beater".
At a High Court hearing last week, lawyers for Depp said his ex-partner Vanessa Paradis had given a witness statement in which she described the actor as a "kind, attentive, generous and non-violent person and father".
Lawyers for Depp sought to admit evidence from Ms Paradis, who has two children with the star, and actress Winona Ryder, with whom he had a relationship in the 1990s, as part of his case against the publisher - which was not opposed by NGN's legal team.
David Sherborne, representing Depp, said in court documents that his relationship with Ms Paradis ended in 2012, shortly before he and Ms Heard were together "and when he is first alleged to have been violent".
In her statement, Ms Paradis said: "I have known Johnny for more than 25 years.
"We've been partners for 14 years and we raised our two children together.
"Through all these years I've known Johnny to be a kind, attentive, generous, and non-violent person and father. He was never violent or abusive to me."
In her statement, Ms Ryder said: "I cannot wrap my head around (Ms Heard's) accusations.
"He was never, never violent towards me. He was never, never abusive at all towards me."
Depp's lawyers also wish to call evidence from Kate James, a former personal assistant to Ms Heard, and David Killackey, a mechanic who worked for the couple before their acrimonious divorce - which NGN's lawyers described as "irrelevant" and "tainted".
Mr Justice Nicol is due to give a ruling at 10:00am on Monday to determine whether the evidence of Ms James and Mr Killackey can form part of his case against NGN - which is set for a trial in July.
A two-week trial was due to start in London on March 23 at which the actor, Ms Heard and a number of Hollywood figures would have had to give evidence but it was put on hold due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The trial is set to take place at the Royal Courts of Justice over three weeks from July 7, with strict social distancing measures in place.
Australian Associated Press