THE ability to adapt to climate change has put three North East winemakers in elite company.
Fighting Gully Road (Beechworth), Eldorado Road Wines and Morris Wines (Rutherglen) made the cut for the inaugural Age Good Weekend 52 Top Australian Wineries compiled by Huon Hooke.
Fighting Gully Road winemaker Mark Walpole planted new wine grape varieties such as sangiovese and aglianico to future proof his business.
"Walpole has a light touch that allows the varietal signatures to shine through," Hooke said.
IN OTHER LIFESTYLE NEWS:
- Milkin Kitchen takes comfort food and culinary fare on the road
- Milawa Cheese on the move to adapt to coronavirus pandemic
- Savoy Truffle Co delivers family-friendly dining to your doorstep
- South Albury venture puts culinary fare online via Cookaborough
- Andiamo Street Food offers comfort factor that really hits home
Hooke described Eldorado Road's Italian varietal Nero d'Avola as arguably Australia's best.
Morris Wines were lauded for their world-renowned fortifieds, which relied on warm, dry seasons.
Our COVID-19 news articles relating to public health and safety are free for anyone to access. However, we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.