Having a holistic approach to health, I have often found benefits in eastern, western and alternative treatments or remedies. This is also true when it comes to the use of crystals as healing and therapeutic 'tools'.
In fact, I have a number of crystals in my collection that are often used for a variety of reasons. But do they actually work?
To fully answer this question we must look at the science as well as the spiritual inner workings of crystals, can they improve a person's positive outlooks, reduces stress, anxiety or other mental/physical ailments?
Award-winning health and medical science journalist, Lisa Marshall, wrote an article in WebMed (2018) Can Crystals Heal? Separating Facets from Facts. Ms Marshall noted that Google searches for "crystal healing" have more than doubled in the past five years. Additionally, a Himalayan pink salt lamp was one of Amazon's best-selling home improvement products over the holiday season.
Psychologist Stuart Vyse, author of Believing in Magic: The Psychology of Superstition, states that: "There is no scientific evidence to support the medical effectiveness of any of these remedies (using crystals). But there is the possibility that they might have an indirect psychological benefit."
University of London psychologist Christopher French conducted a study in 2001 on the effects of crystal healing. Dr French gave 80 volunteers booklets explaining the sensations they might have while holding crystals. Half of the participants were given genuine gemstones and the other half fakes. Those holding a fake were just as likely to respond physically as those holding the real thing. French's conclusion: The power of suggestion not flowing energy was to credit.
A study done in 2013 examined magnetic bracelets, often used as remedies for pain. Researchers assigned 70 people with rheumatoid arthritis to consecutively wear one of four different devices (two kinds of magnetic wrist straps, a copper bracelet, and an ordinary bracelet) for five weeks each. They found no difference between the bracelets in easing pain or inflammation.
Dr James Giordano, a professor in the departments of neurology and biochemistry at Georgetown University, states that the 'Himalayan salt lamp', for example, "puts out a really nice, pinkish light, and it's certainly possible that could induce a feeling of emotional wellbeing in some people".
Per positive psychology practitioner, spiritual entrepreneur and spiritual wellbeing expert, Rachael White: "My client had eczema on her hand, after she applied archangel aromatherapy with a clear quartz crystal, it stopped her itching. The crystal is amplifying, directing and reorganising to shift the energy completely for healing".
So should crystals then be a replacement for medical treatments for eczema or any other physical/mental 'disease'? Cardiothoracic surgeon Dr Nikki Stamp believes, "as long as that use of crystals doesn't attempt to replace actual treatment, it's not unsafe" however "if people forgo proven treatments in favour of crystals, that is potentially problematic and harmful."
If you are looking for crystals that are believed to provide mental/physical benefits following are a few that you can conduct some research on.
- Lepidolite- a go-to stone for anxiety. This beautiful lavender stone has a calming effect and can also be useful in working through emotional trauma.
- Rose Quartz - a sweet and nurturing crystal. When you are feeling alone, afraid, or unlovable.
- Blue Lace Agate - in combination with Rose Quartz for sleep or to help ease anxiety.
- Charoite - it's excellent at helping to reduce stress, promote better sleep and to calm the mind so that you can be more present.
- Sunstone - has a warm, happy energy just like the sun that helps with creativity, positivity and motivation.
- Rainbow Fluorite - this is an excellent stone for meditation, is very calming but it also brings clarity so that you can look at things objectively.
- Hematite - helps to remove negative energy from your environment assists with panic attacks, stress and overwhelming feeling. It's a crystal that helps you feel safe, supported and secure.
- Amethyst - is one of the most commonly found stones on earth. Promotes soothing and calming feelings and tranquillity. Balances out highs and lows, promoting emotional centring, while dispelling anger, rage, fear, and anxiety.
Mainly, through your research, you may actually learn a bit more about yourself and not just about crystals and the possible healing properties they may have.
Crystal healing is never meant to be substituted for seeking medical attention. This information is not meant to serve as a prescription or diagnosis of any kind. If you are in need of medical assistance or psychiatric care please make contact with your GP or Lifeline on 131114.