Albury and Wodonga police officers will attend a planned protest on the Lincoln Causeway on Friday morning.
An online page promoting the event, which had been due to start at 10am, has been removed from social media.
It appears unlikely the event will go ahead, but Wodonga Senior Sergeant Chris Parr said police were prepared.
"We will be down there, we will be running an operation with our NSW counterparts," he said.
"We will be ready to speak to people to ensure they protest peacefully.
"They would need to comply with the restrictions in place for regional Victoria.
"We will be there just in case."
Senior Sergeant Parr said outdoor gatherings were restricted to 10 people in Victoria.
IN OTHER NEWS:
"Social distancing must also be followed," he said.
"If they feel aggrieved by the decision to close the borders we will make sure they make their views known safely."
The social media post said protesters would march along the causeway from Victoria into NSW.
Superintendent Paul Smith said Albury officers were also on standby.
"If there is a protest we will be certainly be there in force to deal with it," he said.
"I would remind everyone, there is no exception, you need a pass, a permit, to get into the state of NSW.
"You need a valid reason to go with it.
"If you haven't you'll be turned around.
"If you don't turn around, you will either be given an on the spot fine or arrested."