The popular Cod Classic at Lake Mulwala has been cancelled amid the uncertainty of restrictions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
After attracting almost 3000 entries last year, organisers of Mulwala Football Netball Club's major annual event made the call this week to abandon its 21st edition.
Event director Tony Bennett said the decision was left as late as possible but admitted the current rules weren't favourable.
"We were trying to get entry forms and merchandise organised and it had to be done now or we make a call," Mr Bennett said.
IN OTHER NEWS:
"It's a sign of the times unfortunately.
"Coming off the back of last year we had just under 3000 competitors to celebrate the 20th year.
"It's been going from strength to strength, but who knows if this will set things back.
"Hopefully it will go the other way and people might look forward to getting out and about when the restrictions lift.
"It could be a blessing in disguise for us."
The Cod Classic is one of four fishing gatherings organised by the club each year and Mr Bennett will do everything possible to stage it on a smaller scale on December 5 and 6.
"We do run other tournaments such as the Dash for Cash (February 13-14), His and Hers (February 27) and the Cod Nationals (March 10-13) under the footy club's banner and we have full plans to run those next year," Mr Bennett added.
"It's just the big one where it's a bit harder."