THE NSW public health order allowing the return of the 50-kilometre border zone on Friday may not be finalised until Thursday evening.
Member for Albury Justin Clancy said he could not say when the document would be formally gazetted with officials and NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard doing a final assessment.
Until it is ratified, the Service NSW website which issues travel permits cannot be updated.
"I understand they've got to work through the legal detail but I'm emphasising the importance for our community that the sooner the better," Mr Clancy said.
"(However) any existing permit will continue to exist until it naturally expires, so for example if you're travelling on a border zone permit currently you will still be able to travel on it on Friday."
That should mean there is not problems with QR scanners unable to read permits on Friday morning, leaving motorists stranded at the border.
NEWS FROM COURT:
Mr Clancy said the new permits would not have the wording "daily life" as a reason to travel "based on strong legal advice".
It is to ensure the permit does not exceed what Victorians in stage three can leave home for, namely work, education, shopping for essential needs, medical needs and compassionate care.
Mr Clancy said he would be advocating for a return to a broader permit once Victorian restrictions eased.
A map of those areas in the new border zone will not be formally revealed until the health order is executed.
However, it is tipped to cover Wangaratta, Culcairn and Henty.
"Unfortunately wherever you draw the line people closest to that line feel impacted and that's just human nature and I accept that," Ms Berejiklian said.
"But we're trying to make it as fair and as logical as possible."
Greater Hume Shire general manager Steve Pinnuck said he was disappointed there was not "greater clarity" about the map from Ms Berejiklian's visit.
"We weren't told much that the Deputy Premier didn't announce last Thursday," Mr Pinnuck said.
Member for Murray Helen Dalton was annoyed there would be little lead-in time on the Service NSW website for new permits which would lead to frustration.
"Service NSW are either not informed or don't know or are not ready," she said.
"I'm sick of all the rot."
Ms Dalton said Service NSW had been referring those with problems to her office which she "found hard to bear" because she is not part of the government, unlike Mr Clancy.
Cr Speedie said it was "disgraceful" she did not have an audience with the Premier.
Replying to that, Mr Clancy said "it's unfortunate that events such as that can overshadow the overall occasion".
Cr Speedie did not return The Border Mail's call on Wednesday.