Police have begun removing some checkpoint infrastructure ahead of Monday morning's re-opening, but say drivers will continue to be checked right until the borders come down.
Superintendent Paul Smith said by the end of the week, five million vehicles will have crossed from Victoria into NSW during the operation.
Of those, 80 to 90 per cent live on the border.
The Wodonga Place checkpoint will be reduced to one lane into NSW on Sunday morning as the site is removed.
All southbound traffic to the causeway will be diverted to the highway by the afternoon.
IN OTHER NEWS:
All infrastructure at checkpoints across the state should be gone by Wednesday.
"It's a big relief for the police and everyone who has supported us, but no doubt a big relief for border region residents," Superintendent Smith said of the re-opening.
Highway patrol members will be on the road after the re-opening to ensure safe traffic flow.
He said there had been "very good overall compliance from border residents" during the closure.