It only took a known family violence offender a few hours after he was released from jail on Christmas Eve to allegedly breach an intervention order taken out against him by his ex-partner.
Wangaratta man Brendan Stevens, 42, had been serving time in jail for offences against the 26-year-old woman.
Less than two weeks after his release, he would allegedly again be punching and threatening to kill her.
Stevens was refused bail after appearing in Wangaratta Magistrates Court on Monday.
Police prosecutor Sergeant Heath Dosser told the court that after the couple spent Christmas Eve drinking alcohol and smoking ice together, Stevens allegedly sent her abusive texts with offensive language on Christmas Day.
On January 5, the victim went to Stevens' Textile Avenue home.
"The accused became enraged towards the complainant for no apparent reason," Sergeant Dosser said.
He said the man then allegedly stood over her and threatened to kill her.
"The complainant became instantly petrified of the accused who then said 'I don't care if I go back to jail" before he started punching the complainant with force," he said.
MORE NEWS FROM COURT:
The woman was eventually allowed to leave.
She did not go to hospital for her injuries until January 21, when police were informed.
Officers took photos of bruising on her face and body and encouraged her to tell them what happened.
"The accused has shown no remorse for his actions and behaviour and continues to inflict blame on the complainant's health. Police believe the accused will continue to harass the complainant," Sergeant Dosser said.
"The complainant is extremely fearful of the accused and stated she feels controlled by him."
Stevens told police the woman had bruises on her already when he came home and she was there drunk.
Stevens' solicitor Geoff Clancy said his client admitted seeing and messaging the woman in breach of intervention orders, but denied the assault.
"My client instructs that he didn't cause those injuries," he said.
Stevens will remain in custody until he returns to court on February 1.