The woman who accused Attorney-General Christian Porter of a historical rape told police she couldn't proceed with the complaint for medical and personal reasons.
Mr Porter strongly denies allegations that he sexually assaulted the woman in Sydney in 1988 when they were teenagers.
The woman took her own life after deciding not to proceed with the complaint.
NSW Police on Thursday released an updated statement detailing the actions taken by the strike force established to investigate the claims.
On June 23 last year, the woman emailed detectives indicating she didn't feel able to continue with the matter, citing medical and personal reasons.
"The woman very clearly articulated in that email that she did not want to proceed with the complaint," police said in a statement.
A strike force detective responded the following day before SA Police told NSW colleagues about her death on June 25.
Detectives from the child abuse and sex crimes squad first met with the woman at Kings Cross Police Station on February 27, 2020.
Police say the woman told investigators she had health issues at that meeting.
"She also advised investigators that she dissociates and wanted to ensure when supplying her statement that she was coherent and as grounded as possible," the statement said.
Investigators had ongoing contact on at least five occasions with the woman over the subsequent three months.
It wasn't until after her death police obtained a personal document, which has reportedly been included in a dossier sent to federal politicians.
The investigation was closed after the strike force sought legal advice on the document, with police citing a lack of admissible evidence.
Lifeline 13 11 14
beyondblue 1300 22 4636
Australian Associated Press