A murderer who tortured and burned a North East woman to death has been ordered to pay more than $800,000 in compensation to her grieving family.
Michael Cardamone abducted his neighbour, Karen Chetcuti, from her Whorouly home on January 12, 2016.
He restrained her, drove off in her car before putting her in his vehicle, and attacked her early the following morning.
The mother-of-two was injected with drugs and battery acid, received severe head and torso injuries, and was burnt alive.
Cardamone, who was already a convicted rapist, also drove over her.
The late woman's husband Tony and their children Kate and Jack sued Cardamone.
The Supreme Court on Wednesday ordered the inmate - who will never be released - to pay $288,986 to Jack and $288,165 to his sister.
The pair received more than $31,000 each through victims of crime compensation.
Cardamone must pay $240,000 to Tony.
A home Cardamone shared with his mother was seized when he was charged to settle any compensation claims.
The killer's share of the property provides $149,000 for compensation.
Justice Lex Lasry, who sentenced Cardamone over the crime, on Wednesday noted the devastating impact it had had on the family.
Tony had been so distraught, he considered taking his own life, but was only stopped by the thought of his children.
He broke down when told his wife's body was discovered at Lake Buffalo and had to break the news to his children.
The discovery was made on Kate's 14th birthday, with each birthday now serving as a reminder of her mother's murder.
IN OTHER NEWS:
She suffers from bereavement disorder, anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder.
Her brother was 15 when the crime occurred and remains pessimistic about the future.
"Each of the three applicants has suffered significantly as a result of the death of Karen Chetcuti as I have described," Justice Lasry said.
"Each of them will carry the effect of that event with them for the rest of their lives. The two children have a particularly long road ahead so far as that is concerned."
The trio's case against the government will return on February 25 next year.
Lawyer John Suta represents the family and previously said the government showed "gross negligence" in its handling of Cardamone.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: