The Tallangatta and district league will resume with its round eight fixture scheduled for May 29 if play recommences this weekend.
Similar to all competitions in regional Victoria, the league hasn't played for the past fortnight in the wake of the snap lockdown announced by the Victorian government late last month.
Clubs were given the green light to resume training last week.
However, a patron cap of a maximum of 50 people for outdoor events in regional Victoria is the biggest stumbling block to play resuming.
League president Rex Gray is hoping the government will ease restrictions further in regional Victoria later this week to enable crowds to return to the football so play can resume.
"I don't think it is likely that the government will make any further announcements in regards to the easing of restrictions until Wednesday at the earliest," Gray said.
"The executives are holding a zoom meeting on Wednesday night.
"We have gone through a few different proposals amongst ourselves in regards to how the remainder of the season plays out when we are allowed to resume playing again.
"So we will discuss those on Wednesday night and hopefully we will know more about the restrictions by then.
"If we are allowed to play this weekend it will be the round eight fixture and not round 10."
IN OTHER NEWS
The constitution states that a finals series can be played once every side has played each other once.
Round 11 marks the completion of the first round.
NSW based competitions remain unaffected by the Victorian government's COVID restrictions.
The Hume league resumed on the weekend after having a general bye the previous week.
The Riverina and Farrer leagues have also gone ahead uninterrupted.
The Ovens and Murray league is also set to resume this week after missing the past fortnight.
All matches will be played in NSW including a double header at Lavington Oval on Saturday with Lavington and Wodonga followed by Wangaratta and Yarrawonga.
Melbourne based players are not allowed to play with Wangaratta and Wangaratta Rovers amongst the two clubs hardest hit by the travel ban.
Gray said the longer the competition was in recess, the harder it was for officials to come up with a contingency plan that didn't compromise the competition.
"We have still got a bit of time up our sleeve," he said.
"All the leagues had to submit a contingency plan to the AFL at the start of the season if a situation like this arose.
"But the longer the delay, the harder it gets to complete a season with compromising the competition.
"The biggest positive last week was that players could resume training.
"Now we just need to be able to play again but it's not looking promising while Melbourne keeps recording new COVID cases every day."
The delay has put on hold one of the most intriguing seasons for a least a decade.
After seven rounds there appears to be at least four genuine flag contenders will little separating the sides.
Eight sides remain in finals contention with Rutherglen, Dederang-Mt Beauty and Mitta United all ready to pounce if a present top-five side slips-up.
Chiltern and Yackandandah have been among the biggest surprise packets in the competition.
The pair occupy the first two spots on the ladder with a 6-1 record.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: