An Albury home has been damaged after a blaze in an open fireplace which spread into the house.
Firefighters were called to the Lindsay Avenue house about 9.05pm on Sunday after the fire burnt out timber behind a wall.
A metal lintel in the fireplace got too hot, which caused timber to catch alight.
Firefighters struggled to access the fire due to it being concealed, with the blaze destroying a loungeroom and upstairs bedroom.
Station officer Simon Huggett said firefighters managed to get to the flames before they could spread into the ceiling.
"It was behind a tiled wall," he said.
"We had a lot of trouble trying to access the fire to try to put it out.
IN OTHER NEWS:
"The front loungeroom was destroyed and the top bedroom was destroyed.
"There was a lot of smoke and water damage through the house.
"It took a lot of water to get it out."
The family at the home had managed to get out without injury.
Fire crews were at the home for about three-and-a-half hours.
A large amount of burnt and damaged items had to be removed from the property.
Firefighters also had to ensure hotspots, which were concealed behind the wall cavity, were completely extinguished before leaving.
Station officer Huggett said the fireplace had been installed several years ago but was rarely used.
He said there were issues with the design and said it was good work by firefighters to prevent the flames spreading further.
"Firefighter did a tremendous job in very, very trying circumstances," he said.
Residents are being urged to ensure their homes are fire safe during winter as more people use heaters.
Station officer Huggett said it was important soot be removed from chimneys, with products available to burn the residue away.
People are also urged to keep drying clothes at least a metre from heaters.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: