A man accused of breaking an intervention order hundreds of times, including with 340 phone calls or text messages last month, has been released on bail.
The Wodonga Magistrates Court heard the victim had taken out intervention orders against the man, who can't be named, as early as 2014.
The man had been living in the Hume Motor Inn in Albury at the time that the most recent order was made on May 17, with his partner and two children listed as protected people.
The man was banned from having any contact with the trio.
The court heard that despite this, the alleged offender harassed the woman over concerns she was having sex with another man.
Wodonga Leading Senior Constable Chris Grimmett said he had requested the man's phone records, which showed he made 268 calls and sent 72 text messages between June 18 and 20.
The man's phone was traced back to Albury.
Police opposed the man's recent bail application in court, noting he was on summons for making threats to kill a child protection worker and persistently contravening a court order at the time of the new allegations.
"I believe if released the accused will seek out the protected person, will commit further offences, I believe he will be vengeful," Leading Senior Constable Grimmett said.
He said the man had a long history of contravening orders and was a risk.
The court heard the man contacted the person 197 times in June last year, followed by the threats to kill the child worker in February.
He allegedly attended his partner's home in September 2019 and became enraged before making threats to kill.
IN OTHER NEWS
The court heard he grabbed her around the throat and pushed her down during that altercation.
Other incidents allegedly occurred just before the woman gave birth to their child, and then when she was in hospital after giving birth.
"He seems to get himself into a rage and is unable to control himself," Senior Constable Grimmett said.
Lawyer Jonathon Rattray said his client was contesting the matters, which he said may not lead to a jail term if proven.
The man has multiple priors but it was his first time in custody.
Magistrate Ian Watkins said he was satisfied any risk could be managed through bail conditions.
The man was bailed to live at Crisp Street in Albury and will return on August 10.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: