Cancelling the 2021 season will cost the Hume league around $100,000.
The league announced on Sunday that finals would not take place, despite seeking greater clarification over what the NSW Government's latest public health order meant for 'ticketed and seated outdoor events.'
It comes on the back of not playing at all in 2020 and the impact will be enormous.
"Not playing finals will cost us around $70,000," president Brendan I'Anson said.
"Our income's normally close to $100,000 but the cost of running a finals series would be $20,000-$25,000.
"Our coffers will be drained next year.
"As a league, we've got some reserves but without some of our sponsors, we'd be in a lot of strife.
"We'd have no option but to levy clubs for some funds throughout the year.
"I think we'll get through but we'll be down to our last dollar before the finals series next year. You just can't take a $70,000 hit.
"We give that $70,000 back to the clubs in lots of ways so they won't be seeing that money next season either.
"Clubs have missed out on home-and-away games this year so the actual financial cost of COVID to the league is well up around $100,000 if you include what it's cost clubs.
"That's cash we haven't got in the system next year.
"Next year will be a tough year and we'd like to see a lot of people come out to the footy, sign up their membership at their local club and stay involved because without players and spectators, we will struggle next year, there's no doubt about it.
"I don't think it'll be any different right across Albury-Wodonga in the Ovens and Murray and Tallangatta leagues.
"They're all going to struggle so everyone's got to stick by them next year and jump on board. We're going to need them more than ever."
Clubs had gone four weeks without playing or training prior to the cancellation.
"It's a relief in one way but extremely disappointing in others because of the way it was handled by the Government," I'Anson said.
"The inconsistency in stories coming through made it bloody difficult to answer questions from clubs.
ALSO IN SPORT:
"We thought we had a glimmer of hope, using stadiums, but they shut that door on us on Saturday.
"There's no way sport can go ahead so the decision to cancel wasn't ours."
"It was NSW Health that called it all off and all we've got to do now is abide by those rules.
"The frustrating part for me, the league and all clubs is that we did everything right. We had the QR codes in club rooms and the bar, we had COVID plans in place at every ground and that seemed to fall on deaf ears.
"We jumped through all the hoops to make sure we had everything right for football and, at the end of the day, they didn't really care about that. They made a blanket decision across the state and we've just got to put up with it.
"It's annoying when we get this far through and there's no cases in this part of the world, yet they still can it.
"The local government area is clear, we thought that would be a plus for us but it really didn't matter when it came to sport and recreation.
"This is more disappointing than last year because we were so close to a finals series and everyone was looking forward to it."
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: