UPDATE: Just over 46 per cent of NSW adults have received two doses of vaccine and 78.5 per cent have had their first jab, the premier revealed, and the push continues for jabs in arms, particularly in school-aged children.
"We want to encourage all those Year 12 students and Year 11 students who are eligible to come forward and get vaccinated, to give that extra bit of protection to older adolescents and younger adults," Ms Berejiklian said.
"From next week Moderna will be available at pharmacists for young children aged between 12 and 15.
"We really want parents to take up this opportunity to vaccinate their children so by the time we go back to school, not only will we have high vaccination coverage for adults, but we'll also start to see some vaccination coverage for 12 to 15-year-olds as an additional safeguard."
EARLIER: The premier has stepped back up for a NSW COVID-19 update the day it was handed over to NSW Health on a daily basis.
Gladys Berejiklian made the sudden announcement on Friday that Sunday's staple 11am press conference would be the last in the format that has become a daily ritual during the outbreak.
Instead of NSW Health leading the Monday morning update, Ms Berejikian returned to announce 1257 new cases of COVID-19 were found in NSW in the 24 hours to 8pm Sunday.
Seven deaths from COVID-19 were reported to NSW Health and 137,668 tests were conducted in the same timeframe.
South-western and western Sydney remain areas of concern, Ms Berejiklian said, but pleasingly there are signs of cases stabilising in some of the local government areas of concern in Sydney as well as some regional NSW areas.
"In regional NSW we have seen a stabilisation in cases, however in Hunter, Central Coast and Wollongong, we have seen an increase in cases," the premier said.
There have been 184 COVID-19 related deaths in NSW since June 16, and 240 in total since the start of the pandemic. There have been 38,856 locally-acquired cases reported since 16 June 2021, when the first case in this outbreak was reported.
Of the 1,257 locally acquired cases reported to 8pm last night:
- 427 are from South Western Sydney Local Health District;
- 314 are from Western Sydney;
- 181 are from Sydney:
- 127 are from South Eastern Sydney;
- 78 are from Nepean Blue Mountains:
- 27 are from Illawarra Shoalhaven;
- 22 are from Northern Sydney;
- 18 are from Hunter New England LHD;
- 16 are from Central Coast;
- 12 are from Western NSW;
- eight are in correctional settings;
- seven are from Far West;
- two are from Southern and 18 cases are yet to be assigned to an LHD.
NSW Health's ongoing sewage surveillance program has recently detected fragments of the virus that causes COVID-19 at the Yass and Eden, at Tamworth, at the Dunbogan and Karuah treatment plants in Mid North Coast, at Gerroa treatment plant in Illawarra and Brooklyn treatment plant in northern Sydney.
Some restrictions have eased in regions that are still subject to stay-at-home orders today, and a large section of the state emerged from lockdown at the weekend. NSW is not out of the woods yet, Ms Berejiklian warned.
"It's way too early for any of us to get complacent and we are concerned that an unexpected event, a superspreader event can suddenly [cause] a major setback," she said.
"So whilst people start enjoying some things they couldn't enjoy last week, I urge the community, please do not get complacent, do not let your guard down."
A number of sewage detections in regional areas without known cases has authorities putting communities on alert, with NSW Health's Dr Jeremy McAnulty urging people to come forward for testing for even the mildest symptoms.
"These are at Yass and Eden in the southern part of NSW; in Tamworth, in the Hunter New England; in Dunbogan and Karuah on the Mid North Coast," he said.
"In Gerroa, at Illawarra Shoalhaven and Brooklyn in northern Sydney. So, please, if you live in those communities, or been in those communities, come forward for testing."
A regional NSW man is among the latest death toll, Dr McAnulty said.
The Dubbo man, aged in his 90s, acquired his infection and died at the St Mary's Villa aged care facility.
The premier's appearance on Monday was an about-face after doubling down on the move to step back on Sunday.
"I was very upfront and honest to say that while there would be ample information provided on a daily basis, I will not necessarily be the one providing the information on a daily basis," Ms Berejiklian said on Sunday.
IN OTHER NEWS:
- Hotel owner happy to be back but capacity limits 'overly cautions'
- Family's burning desire to see beloved Demons win premiership
- Driver runs away from fatal North East crash after utility rolls
- Students glad to be back after another stint learning at home
- Revamp of Noreuil Park toilets on cards amid rebuild cost concerns
The figures come after a weekend when residents on both sides of the Murray River enjoyed the end of lockdown.
Essential Ingredient owner and Albury Business Connect chair Barry Young said looking out the doors of his shop was like looking back in time.
"A lot of people are about, the street's been busy, it's back to really what we considered to be normal pre-COVID," he said.
"Everyone's reaction has been the same, they've just been dying to get out, talk and connect with people again. They've really felt it."
Riverina Murray regional manager Anthony McFarlane said businesses might have reopened but many are still doing it very tough after losing weeks of income.
"Before we even went into the regional NSW lockdown a lockdown impact survey in July had already told us 20 per cent businesses only had four weeks liquidity, cash reserves, to survive," he said.
We have removed our paywall from our stories which contain need-to-know information about coronavirus. If you would like to support our journalists you can subscribe here.