Conrad Dallinger was born in Germany in 1822. He emigrated to NSW on the Peter Godeffroy, arriving in Sydney in 1852. Conrad made his way to Albury, and by 1855, he had purchased land at Mungabareena and had married Katherina Knobel, also born in Germany.
The couple built a homestead facing what became known as Sydney Road (later Borella Road) near the current entrance to the Albury Airport. Conrad and Katherina had five children: Jacob, Valentine, George, Michael and Francisca.
They grew fruit and vegetables sold to passers-by and produced wine from their own grapes.
The Dallinger's third child, George, was born in 1859. As a young man, he was employed by Frederick Selle as a blacksmith.
An article in the Albury Banner in August 1879 described entries in an 'Albury Industrial Exhibition', including a delicate cross made inside a bottle by George.
The article concluded: "It is not every day that we find an artisan accustomed to swinging a heavy sledgehammer ... with such nicety of touch and delicacy of manipulation ... Mr Dallinger in his way must be a genius."
In November 1882, newspaper advertisements started to appear announcing that "G Dallinger (lately in the employ of F A Selle), coach, buggy and waggonette builder, general blacksmith ... has purchased the premises in Olive St occupied by Mr G Sloman where he has commenced business."
George quickly established a reputation for his quality workmanship. In 1886, the Picturesque Atlas of Australasia reported, "Dallinger & Co premises cover an acre of ground ... for every line of carriagework, for which the factory is the principal prize-winner throughout the district."
In 1897, the Albury Banner told readers that Dallingers had completed an order for Eroni Brothers Circus for "two large coaches, one wild beast cage, duly mounted on a carriage, and a band wagon."
Eroni Brothers remained customers for several years and by 1907 they had "about 28 wagons, and no less than 23 of these" built by Dallinger & Co.
George Dallinger died in November 1921, leaving his wife Margaret, two sons, Conrad and George and daughters Margaret and Catherine.
In November 1926, advertisements began to appear in local newspapers notifying that George J Dallinger had "re-opened his coach building and blacksmithing business in Olive Street."
The business eventually wound up, and in August 1938, the Border Morning Mail advertised an auction sale of buildings for removal at Dallinger's Corner, Olive and Swift Streets.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.