Gas scare for chicken shop

The area around a new chicken shop in Wangaratta was cordoned-off after gas was left on.

Firefighters were called to a store in Reid Street at 8.45am this morning after employees at a nearby shop smelt gas in the area.

Police were also on scene to cordon off an area around it.

CFA district 23 operations manager Paul Horton said gas on an appliance had been left on.

"The brigade walked in and checked the appliance and turned it off," he said.

Mr Horton said gas leaks can become extremely dangerous. He said it can be easy to spark a blaze.

"There's always those risks," he said.

The scene was cleared at 9.30am.

The shop is being fitted-out to re-open as a takeaway chicken store.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop