Waterwheel in its original setting in Australia Park, Albury. Percy Burrows at microphone at the opening on November 21, 1969. Claude Hazelwood at left in dark suit. Cleaver Bunton, also seated. Ladies on garden seats include Lila Quiggan in spotted dress left, Maisie Hazelwood front right. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION
1960s picture of American Man's World on the south-west corner of Dean and Macauley streets, Albury. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION
Group portrait of the 10 Floral Festival Queen candidates for 1959, including Heather Faulkhead (now Heinjus) at left and 1959 crowned queen Coral Hague (now Close) 5th from right, at the Botanic Gardens wearing day dresses with heels, handbags, glaves and hats for the Floral Festival opening garden party. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION
1920s photo of a boy on a bicycle and three other children playing on the edge of Albury floodwaters in the foreground. Another boy is standing by a gate on the other side of the street in the background. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION
1924 photograph of western end of Dean Street under water. The Albury War Memorial is visible in the background. The bridge over the Bungambawartha Creek is in the middle distance on the right. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION
1960 photograph of a group of schoolchildren sitting under a tree at Albury Public School, eating their lunches. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION
August 1935 photograph of a group of people, a car, a wheelbarrow near a tree on the roadside at Table Top. Cr. Darwin, the wheelbarrow pusher and Mr. W. Amiguet, the sitter, were on their way to Sydney from Melbourne as part of a bet. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION
Children posing on play equipment in front of the fledgling Victory Primary School (now Victory Lutheran College), 1992. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION
Albury football team, 1897. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION
St Patrick's Tennis Club's float for the 1960 Albury Floral Festival parade. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION
1920s photograph of Oldsmobile car surrounded by onlookers in Dean Street, Albury. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION
1945 photo of North Albury Youth Club Women's Football Team. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION
1896 picture of 16 cyclists standing beside their bikes in front of Albury Cycle Agency. Four of them are wearing dark-coloured Swift shirts under coats. This picture, with names, appeared in Border Morning Mail of January 7, 1941 with the heading of "Albury Cyclists of 45 years ago". Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION
One of the floats prepared by Mr Luciano Limoni for RAEME, Bandiana for street parade in Wodonga to celebrate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II - 1953. Picture: ALBURYCITY COLLECTION
Staff of Radio 2AY in the 1950s included George Jennings, seated left, and the station manager from 1946 to 1963, Ray Kidd, standing, right. ALL PICTURES (unless specified): THE HOWARD JONES COLLECTION
Hazel Cossor with twins Eric and Gordon at Mate's corner in 1942.
And a post-war fashion change for Mrs Cossor and Eric.
Allan Hogan (1920-1999) was a musician as well as a medical practitioner. He served on the Kokoda Track during World War II. He was later chief medical officer at the Albury Base Hospital.
Woodstock Girls School's senior choir after four wins in the Albury Eisteddfod, 1962.
Mayor Alfred Waugh and his wife Ellen (with canes) with Governor-General Lord Stonehaven (right) in the Botanic Gardens about 1928. (AlburyCity collection).
The 10 girls who competed for the Miss Albury show girl title at the 1960 Albury Show were Beverley Crooks (winner), Ann Doran, Barbara Weston, Vail Ainley, Jennifer Lemke, Diane Clarke, Kathleen Melbourne (second), Michele O'Keefe, Judith Keogh and Jeanette Ward.
Beer and a game of cards helped men relax at Watson's brickworks in South Albury about 1900.
Girls riding ponies around the same site in 1900.
The Commercial Banking Company of Sydney branch on Dean and Kiewa streets was demolished in 1936.
Albury Public School's Class 1 in 1948.
St John's Orphanage girls attend a service at the nun's cemetery at Thurgoona about 1960.
James Wallace Sproule, a visiting Sunday School teacher, at the Mungabareena RSL Settlement. The settlement provided homes for families after World War II.
Ron McLachlan was one of the children raised at Mungabareena.
Bullen's Circus elephants grazing at Noreuil Park in the spring of 1961.
Floral Festival parade in 1965. (Marie Grimmond)
A roller hockey team won a trophy at the Palais skating rink in 1960. (Marguerite Studios)
A 1960 poster for a night of boxing at the Palais Royal in Albury.
Usherettes helped spectators see an Albury exhibition by Australia's 1955 Davis Cup team.
Albury Tennis Club in the early 1900s included Gilbert Roxburgh (in bowler) and on his left Dr Cleaver Woods and Robert Aikins. Roxburgh's grandson is the actor Richard Roxburgh.
In 1963, Mayor Cleaver Bunton and the ABC Celebrity Concerts Committee president, Stan Jackling, opened an appeal for 25,000 pounds to build a War Memorial Civic Theatre.
An undertakers’ business in Dean Street in the 1900s.
The Albury Spring Show in 1963 featured country singers Gordon Parsons and Tex Morton, while "Gay Girls of Paree" shivered before the crowd.
Bishop Francis Henschke meets a debutante at a Catholic ball in Albury, 1950s.
Teachers and students of the Black Range (Lavington) school in 1898.
Albury Town Council staff about 1900 with John Paine, town clerk, seated, centre.
Hayden Bunton, seated, extreme right, in a 1920s Albury cricket team. His brother George is seated next to him.
St Joseph’s girls school march in dean Street in 1958.
An Anglican grammar school in Olive Street (where police station now stands) about the 1880s.
Girls from the Adelyn clothing factory in a 1950s floral festival.
A debutante ball at the Palais Royal in 1949.
Sally Shipard, left, buys a Christmas stocking ticket from Mrs Miller at a stall outside Beehive Chambers in November 1960.
St Joseph’s girls line up to immunised at school, 1950s.
The NSW X-ray unit visits Dean Street in the 1950s. Tuberculosis was a concern at this time.
Wool Queen finalists at an Albury Sheep Show, early 1960s.
Real estate agent and World War I veteran Leslie Colquhoun is “pinned” by charity workers in Dean Street.
Albury North Public School parade in Dean Street in 1958.
The paddlesteamer Albury, the first river boat to reach Albury in 1856.
Wool sales in Albury at the turn of the 20th century meant huge loads of bales coming to Albury railway station by wagons hauled by bullocks or horses.
Alec Frew and Stuart Logan established their timber and building business in 1898.
Emma Henwood visited the Ettamogah railway station in the 1930s. Local schoolchildren caught a railcar from here to school in Albury.
Harold Mair shares a joke with Roy Guthrie and Eddie Batrouney at a tribute function after completing his 10-year parliamentary career. His successor, Ian Glachan, looks on.
Workmen take a break during the extensions to the Mate’s department store in the 1930s.
Bowna Public School about 1900 to 1914. The school was closed before the village was submerged by Lake Hume in the 1930s.
Builder Preston Carkeek and architect Bert Powrie supervised the first-floor extensions to Mate's Kiewa Street frontage in 1929.
A North Albury Football Club float in a 1960s floral festival “sails” on the Albury Sportsground.
Schoolboys stopped on the corner of Townsend and Smollett streets to warm their hands in July 1938.
Amalgamated Textiles mill soon after it opened in East Albury in 1926.
The original Albury Burrows Flour Mill located in Dean Street near Wodonga Place until demolished in 1910.
Marching girls take part in a floral festival in the mid-1960s.
A Floral Festival float from 1962. (Marie Grimmond)
The Flying Fruit Fly Circus toured Britain in 1988. Pictured at a practice session is Brook Lester, Leon Cottom, Alan Close, Gerry Robertson and Christy Shelper.
World War I veteran Jim Davenport built this bomb shelter in his Young Street home during World War II.
Father George Crennan, an Albury Catholic curate, later to organise a mass migration of Catholics to Australia.
Governor-General Sir Zelman Cowen unveils the Uiver memorial with Mayor John Roach in 1979.
A “tin hare” rail motor at Holbrook in the 1950s, also used to take rural schoolchildren to Albury.
Workmen at the Hume Dam in the closing stages of construction in 1935-36.
West Albury defeated North Albury to claim the Albury & District Junior League premiership in 1937. (AlburyCity collection).
Staff of Thiel's Bakery in the 1930s.