ABOUT 25 public housing tenants were evacuated after a fire broke out in a block of units in Albury last night.
Firefighters were called to the units at 543 Thurgoona Street about 7pm after reports one unit was on fire with an elderly couple possibly trapped inside.
But it was quickly established that the couple had got themselves out soon after the fire started.
NSW Fire and Rescue Albury duty controller Stewart Alexander said a man was treated for smoke inhalation and taken to hospital but the cause wasn’t yet known.
“We’ve had a fire in a second-floor unit of a three-storey building,” Mr Alexander said.
“Twenty-five people have been evacuated. All persons are accounted for at this time.”