Fire prompts evacuation in Cobram

A CIGARETTE butt dropped on a couch sparked a fire that forced the evacuation of a Cobram mental health facility today, police say.

Twenty six residents of Merriwa Lodge in Warkil Street were evacuated at 1.15pm due to the smoke from the small fire that started in the communal lounge room.

Cobram police First Constable Bianca Knight says staff and then CFA firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and their actions confined the blaze to the couch.

No one was injured and Constable Knight said the fire is believed to have started accidentally after a cigarette butt was dropped on the couch.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop