MURRAY RIVER DROWNING: Beware majestic river, bathers told

A CORONER has dispensed with holding an inquest into the death of Afghani man Abdul Ehsani, who drowned in the Murray River at Noreuil Park in January.

Tony Murray has warned about the inherent dangers of the river, particularly when full.

Mr Ehsani, 41, disappeared in the river on January 16.

His body was found the next day after a search by the Albury and Border Rescue Squad, State Emergency Service, Volunteer Rescue Association members and police.

Mr Murray said in a written finding into the death that Mr Ehsani’s wife in Afghanistan did not require an inquest.

“Accordingly, I am satisfied that an inquest would not serve any identifiable or proper purpose and is therefore not required in this matter,” he said.

“There is little evidence as to the deceased’s capacity to swim, but this tragic death is yet another reminder that the beauty of this majestic river belies the real danger that confronts people entering its water.

“This is even more so when the river is full.

“It is clearly dangerous and all persons should be aware of this potentially fatal but superficially calm and alluring watercourse.

“I express the regret of our community for the tragic loss of this deceased, especially when his family is located in another country.”

Mr Ehsani was in Australia looking for work and had been in Albury about four months after previously living at Mildura.

He disappeared about 4pm on a day of more than 40 degrees despite efforts by witnesses on a jet ski and a man walking along the river bank to rescue him.

Mr Ehsani was floating on his back in the river using both hands like a backstroke motion and did not seem distressed.

A short time later, people on the bank began yelling as someone on a jet ski came along.

The man on the jet ski turned around to look at Mr Ehsani, who was waving his arms around and seemed to be struggling to swim.

His disappeared under the water as the man approached to check on him.

Almost immediately a passing walker swam out to help search for him without success.

The jet ski rider went to the bank as a woman rang triple-0 for assistance.

Police and rescue services quickly arrived at the scene and searched until dark without success.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide