YARRAWONGA’S peak tourism and business body has baulked at taking a public position on the Food Truck festival planning application.
The group, which brought together Yarrawonga-Mulwala Tourism and Yarrawonga chamber of commerce late last year, met for a special board meeting on Monday in the wake of the latest food truck application.
Executive officer Noel Wright said it was a “no-win” scenario if YMTB backed or opposed the application.
“It was felt it was inappropriate to take a position given the fact our members are involved in both sides of the equation,” he said.
“It is not our place to have a position on a private business applying to have an event on private land.
“In the interests of consistency and fair play the agreement needs to be reviewed by those people against it or for it.
“They can either object or support it.
“If we have an opinion we’re going to cop it from one half of our membership.
“We need to communicate the options available to those who want to complain or those who want to jump on board and support the food trucks.”
Mr Wright said the Food Truck festival had undeniable attraction and equated last summer’s event to the town’s Rod Run in terms of bringing visitors to town.
The food event was held in early January on the Yarrawonga foreshore, but proponents have tweaked the format.
A planning application lodged with Moira Shire states there will be less trucks, but they propose to be in town from mid-December to the end of January before returning for other peak tourist times.
The council conducted a survey of 1000 attendees last year and it showed more than 60 per cent were from outside of Yarrawonga and close to 80 per cent of visitors came exclusively for the food event.
Almost all visitors surveyed – 96 per cent – stated they would revisit the region due to their experience.
The planning application is on public exhibition until October 16.