Former detective out of jail, into rehab

A FORMER Albury detective charged with drug-related offences was yesterday granted bail in the Supreme Court in Sydney with one condition being his admission to rehabilitation.

The bail application on behalf of Matthew Louis Marshall, 41, came just one day after he appeared in Albury Local Court through a video-link from Silverwater Jail on 18 drug offences.

A barrister for the Director of Public Prosecutions opposed Marshall’s release but Justice Stephen Rothman granted bail on several conditions.

Marshall, 41, must attend residential rehabilitation for his drug habit.

On Monday in Albury Local court, magistrate Megan Greenwood adjourned the charges against Marshall until February 25 to allow police more time to compile evidence from phone intercepts during a covert investigation code named Strike Force Roder.

A freezing order sought by police on a vehicle owned by Marshall was adjourned to the same date.

After yesterday’s bail hearing before Justice Rothman, Marshall is likely to remain in custody for several days while the appropriate arrangements are made.

He has been held in strict protection while in custody after having bail refused in Albury Local Court in October by magistrate Tony Murray.

Solicitor Paul Robb appeared for him then and said the decorated former drug squad detective owned a house in East Albury with his wife and a cash surety could be provided.

Marshall was arrested along with several others in police raids in Albury and Lavington.

Police prosecutor Sgt Kelly Huggett opposed bail because of Marshall’s alleged role in a broad criminal enterprise.

“He had a significant part to play. There is evidence where he has gone to Melbourne to participate in activities with his co-accused,” she said.

Mr Robb said Marshall had a substantial drug habit and had previously sought help from a psychiatrist and counsellor in June and September this year for his dependency on methamphetamine.

Mr Robb tendered a report from a psychiatrist from Melbourne’s Austin Hospital who had advised there was an inpatient position likely to be available for Marshall soon.

Marshall joined the police force in 1997.