Bail at $5000 and curfew for Thurgoona man

Jade Fraser
Jade Fraser

A THURGOONA man with a trial pending for allegedly shooting another man with a .303 rifle in 2010 was yesterday released on $5000 bail after being charged with assaulting his de facto partner.

Jade Michael Fraser, 31, appeared in custody in Albury Local Court charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and applied for bail.

Magistrate Tony Murray was told in tendered police facts that Fraser on January 8 argued with his partner of four years and suggested she was having an affair.

He allegedly punched and slapped her face and later punched her in the vagina.

The next morning there was more arguing when the victim was allegedly punched to the head.

She managed to get a neighbour’s attention, asked for help and a call was made to police.

When police arrived at her Thurgoona address about 8.50am, she was upset, crying, had a lump on her forehead, a black, swollen eye, scratches and red marks to her shoulders.

Police called an ambulance and her injuries were photographed.

Prosecutor Sgt Shannon Lewis opposed bail and said Fraser, of St Andrew’s Circuit, was on bail for serious matters.

Solicitor Andrea MacDonald said Fraser admitted breaching present bail conditions which included a nightly curfew.

Mr Murray was told police called on Fraser twice on January 9, but the home was locked and no one came to the door.

He failed to report to police on January 10 and there was no response when police called there at 12.15am that night.

Police became aware about 1pm last Friday that Fraser was at the Albury hospital and arrested him.

Mr Murray has adjourned the charge against Fraser until January 28 and put him on $5000 bail, with a $4000 surety and $1000 cash deposit.

Fraser has a 9pm to 7am curfew, must report to police twice weekly and cannot contact the victim.

He was committed for trial in October 2012 over an incident in Glenroy in August 2010 where a .303 rifle was discharged.

A bullet hit Matthew Fruend, also known as Matthew Walker, who was standing outside a house in Kurnell Street and who later had multiple surgeries in the buttock.

Fraser is charged with discharging a firearm with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and his trial is pending in the District Court at Wagga in July.