No bail over attack on boy, 14

BRENDAN Shane Masterson will remain in custody after allegedly attacking a boy, 14, and inflicting a serious head wound.

A court heard yesterday the reason for the attack was the youth had thrown a rock, causing superficial damage to the bonnet of his sister’s car after an argument.

But his sister had intended selling the car to Masterson and she told her younger brother arrangements had been made to have him bashed.

Masterson arrived in a Ford utility at an address in Clarence Street, Lavington, last Tuesday and chased the boy on foot.

The youth fell, was on his hands and knees and attempted to cover his head with his arms for protection.

He was allegedly struck with force to the left side of the head, which broke both layers of skin and caused a significant wound.

The victim was allegedly kicked twice to the torso before Masterson walked away and blood flowed freely from the injury.

The boy noticed he was bleeding and went to a nearby house where the occupants phoned triple-0.

When police arrived, the boy had lots of blood on his shoulders and chest, which had dripped from his head wound.

Masterson, 26, of Ainslie Avenue, Lavington, has been charged with reckless wounding, assault occasioning actual bodily harm and breaching bail.

He made an application for bail in Albury Local Court but it was rejected by magistrate Megan Greenwood, who said there was a need for victim protection.

The charges against Masterson have been adjourned until May 5.

Ms Greenwood was told the youth tried to stem the flow of blood with a cloth, was sobbing and shaking and told police Masterson had punched and kicked him.

Police tried to get the boy’s mother to attend as a support person, but she refused and a family friend acted in that role.

The boy was taken to Albury hospital by paramedics, gave a statement to police and allowed them to photograph his injury. Two steel staples were put in his head wound.

Masterson was arrested and officers saw blood on his left shoe, but he denied chasing or striking the boy.

He was unable to give any reason for blood on his shoe or visiting Clarence Street.

Police believe the evidence suggests Masterson kicked the boy in the head, causing the injury.