Drink-driver done twice in one night

NORTH Albury man Daniel Marshall O’Rourke was nabbed for two drink-driving offences a little more than three hours apart, a court heard yesterday.

Police saw O’Rourke driving out of the car park at the Northside Hotel in Lavington about 8.25pm on February 28.

They followed him to Mate Street where they stopped him for a random breath test.

When O’Rourke got out of the driver’s seat, he bluntly told officers: “Just arrest me. I’m over. Get on with it”.

He was taken to the police station and registered a breath analysis reading of 0.088.

His licence was suspended by police, O’Rourke received a future court attendance notice and he was released.

After leaving the police station, he went to the Star Hotel where he had more to drink before calling his mother to collect him.

Police were driving along David Street about 11.50pm when they saw a vehicle parked on the side of the road with its headlights on.

As the officers drove past, they recognised the smell of burnt rubber that is common with burnouts.

When they returned to check on the car, O’Rourke drove off and police again pulled him over.

He appeared to motion something when stopping and swore at police when they approached his car.

He was asked for his licence and said: “You police have it. I just got out for drink-driving before and they took it off me.”

O’Rourke, 31, of Swan Street, pleaded guilty in Albury Local Court to two counts of driving with the mid-range prescribed concentration of alcohol and driving when his licence was suspended.

Magistrate Tony Murray was told O’Rourke was arrested after being stopped the second time and later provided a breath analysis reading of 0.116.

He had signed a licence suspension acknowledgment form before being released by police after the first offence.

Solicitor Mark Cronin sought an adjournment to obtain material to be presented on behalf of O’Rourke.

Mr Murray adjourned O’Rourke’s sentencing until June 3 and ordered a pre-sentence report be prepared.